The school dates back to 1866. The original building was just off the main street, in what is now the community centre. It consisted of two schools – the primary on ground floor level and the secondary on the 1st floor. At this time the brothers lived in a house on the Old Limerick Road. In 1935 the school was significantly expanded with the provision of science facilities.
In 1966, past-pupil and then president of Ireland, Eamonn de Valera visited his alma mater. He sat at his old school desk and reminisced about his days in CBS Charleville, which he left in 1898, having secured a scholarship to Blackrock College. In 1969 the new primary school was opened on Baker’s Road and the school community moved into the new secondary school in Baker’s Road in 1970. The opening was performed by the then Minister of Education, Michael O’Kennedy T.D., and the blessing by Bishop of Cloyne John Aherne. The old CBS premises was handed over to Canon Dan Murphy P.P. for parish purposes. The site on Baker’s Road was purchased from the Connolly family. Subsequently the field adjoining the school site was purchased from Pat Connolly in 1998.